National Apprenticeship Week: Meet Dave Eason
To celebrate National Apprenticeship Week 2023, and the theme of ‘Skills for Life’, we’ve been chatting to some of our former apprentices to find out a bit more about where they started their career journey, and how their apprenticeship has helped them grow into the role they’re in today.
Our first catch up this week is with Intelect Mechanical employee, Dave Eason. Dave joined Intelect Mechanical as their first apprentice and has since gone on to climb the career ladder.
Here’s what he had to tell us…
- Please tell us your name and job title?
Dave Eason, Project Supervisor.
- How long have you worked at Intelect Mechanical for?
I’ve worked at Intelect Mechanical for almost 18 years now. I was the first apprentice they took on just two months after the business started.
- What was your apprenticeship in?
I started my apprenticeship in Mechanical Engineering back in 2005.
- Are you glad you chose to go down the career route of an apprenticeship?
Yes, I’m really glad I opted for an apprenticeship, as it provided me with real-life, hands-on experience and a solid career path.
- Were there any challenges in your apprenticeship journey?
I initially found it hard to really take it all in, but with the right support and guidance, it got me to where I am today and I wouldn’t change it.
- What advice would you give to someone who is looking to start an apprenticeship, but might be unsure about it?
Go for it, as you never know where it could lead. Apprenticeships are a great start for anyone, as you can get hands on experience whilst earning an income too.
- Would you recommend people to do an apprenticeship, if so, what are the benefits?
Yes. The hands-on experience you get combined with working alongside fully qualified tradesmen throughout your journey is invaluable. I learnt a lot from my mentors which I can take forward with me into the future career.
- What is your favourite part of your job?
I love that every week presents me with new challenges that I have to find solutions to.
- How have Intelect Mechanical supported you throughout your career?
I’ve had great support from the business throughout my career, including additional training courses to better myself and my skillset, and also with personal experiences at home – Intelect have always supported me and my family.
- Do you have any aims for the future?
My aim is to continue to bettering myself and go onto manage bigger and better projects.